More About Joyce
“Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers – strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.” –Barbara Katz Rothman
- Birth is a natural biological process
- Outside factors can have a profound influence on the medical and emotional aspects of birth
- There are circumstances where medical intervention is necessary
- Women attending and supporting women through birth is normal and beneficial
- Women attending and supporting women can have a profound positive influence on both medical and emotional aspects of birth. This positive influence can help reduce the likelihood that medical intervention will be needed, and when intervention is necessary, can help the laboring mother begin to process her experience in a positive manner.
I am a woman-focused doula. While I am passionate about natural birth and I know what research shows is the best for moms and for babies, the goal that I strive for with every client is for women to have empowering and positive births, as SHE defines it. I cannot guarantee that you will have your ideal birth, nor can I guarantee that you will not face the unexpected during your labor and delivery. However, as your doula, I do guarantee that no matter your medical circumstances, no matter your wishes and desires that make up your ideal birth, I will do my best to help you meet the challenges with dignity and strength so that your birth is a positive experience you will remember fondly.
More about me
I am the oldest of 4 children, and my birth experiences began when I watched my 2 younger brothers being born, med-free in hospital settings, when I was 4 and 8. When my husband and I discovered we were expecting our first child, I began researching everything I could about natural childbirth. That is when I first learned about doulas. Labor support is my calling, and I am overjoyed at the opportunity to serve women in this way. In addition to being a doula, I am a wife to my high school sweetheart and mother of three amazing children! In addition to my doula credentials, I hold a BA in psychology and a MS in biological sciences.
I breastfeed, use cloth diapers, use baby sign language, babywear, try natural remedies first whenever possible, and homeschool. I don't think of myself as an "attachment parent," a "green parent," or any other parent label, we just do what makes sense for our family, and I will encourage you to explore what makes sense for yours.